4.23.2012

go bananas

 ...over this "ice cream." Go ahead, we don't mind... It's a completely satisfying frozen dessert, and a great alternative, when you don't really want the guilt that comes with the real stuff. The greatest part is, you can customize it to your own liking by adding different toppings and making it your own.

I always have bananas turn brown and start to over-ripen on our countertop. I started freezing a lot of them to save them for making banana bread in the future, but as much as I love banana bread, how often was I really going to make it? Not often enough. I am ALWAYS craving ice cream, or some kind of sweet/cold dessert at the end (or middle...or beginning...) of the day, so this was the perfect solution! Sweet, chocolatey, frozen goodness that satisfies my sweet tooth but won't make me feel like I have to run in place as I am eating it. PLUS, this is the very last thing Christal and I made together before she left Hawaii, so I hope you will all enjoy this as much as we did.
This is how you make your own Banana Ice Cream:

Peel the ripened bananas and freeze them. We didn't do it this time, but I would cut them up in slices before freezing them so this next step would be easier. In a food processor (recommended) or blender (this is all I have) blend the frozen bananas until smooth. Add almond milk (or whatever you have in your fridge) to help with the blending process. The consistency should be soft serve -> milk shake depending on how much milk you add. Now comes the fun part - flavors! We added a couple spoonfuls of Nutella into our ice cream this time and topped it with crunchy granola. I also think that peanut butter and cocoa powder would be so good, or honey and fruit! The possibilities are endless ;)
If the blended banana consistency is softer than you would like, put it in an airtight container and pop it back in the freezer for a more scoop-able ice cream. and Enjoy!
Let us know what fabulous combination you can come up with!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delightful! I find myself using frozen banana in every possible form so I know I will love this! Your photography is always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea!! I am so impressed with your food blog! Your recipes are amazing :D We should cook and take photos together sometime!

      Delete